VP of Strategy and Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)
Company: BJ's Restaurants, Inc.
Location: Huntington Beach
Posted on: January 8, 2022
Job Title VP of Strategy and Financial Planning & Analysis
(FP&A) Posted: 7/26/2021 Location Huntington Beach, CA
Description BJ's Restaurants, Inc. (Nasdaq: BJRI) is a national
brand with Brewhouse roots and a menu where craft matters. Our
broad menu has something for everyone: slow-roasted entrees, BJ's
EnLIGHTened Entrees -, signature deep dish pizza and the often
imitated, but never replicated world-famous Pizookie - dessert.
BJ's has been a pioneer in the craft brewing world since 1996, and
takes pride in serving BJ's award-winning proprietary handcrafted
beers. Founded in 1978, BJ's now generates over $1 billion in sales
and owns and operates more than 200 restaurants in 29 states. The
VP of Strategy and Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) is a
part of the executive team that partners with functional leaders in
operations, guest experience, culinary and marketing to help shape
and drive business strategy. S/he will lead a team responsible for
budgeting and developing and implementing strategic plans with
other functional leaders, and oversees financial, marketing,
operations and menu analysis for the Company. S/he works closely
with the CEO and CFO on developing the annual strategy presentation
to the board and setting goals and objectives for the Company.
Additionally, the successful candidate will lead the annual
planning process and contribute to quarterly earnings releases.
- Provide strategic, data driven insights and recommendations to
help each department make well informed business decisions. These
insights should be holistic in view and not coming from only a
- Cultivate strong relationships with each department head to
support cross organizational business decision making
- Manage and prioritize department work flow, deadlines and
expectations in a very fast-paced organization.
- Proactively identify areas of opportunity and implement
solutions to improve efficiency (i.e., report/data automation,
streamlining duplication across reporting, etc.).
- Provide guidance and explanations to non-financial partners so
they better understand the analyses and can make more informed
- Manage the centralized flow of analyses for the entire
organization; perform analyses for various departments including,
but not limited to, Marketing, Menu/Beverage, Operations, Supply
Chain, Facilities and Risk.
- Ensure critical projects continue moving forward while also
meeting the day-to-day requirements and deadlines.
- Work directly with executives and members of the Board of
Directors on ad hoc projects as needed.
- Attend and participate in various monthly department meetings;
present information and insights during the meetings and circle
back with the team on unresolved questions or requests that come
out of the meetings.
- Proactively identify any areas of concern across the business
and communicate those concerns to the relevant people.
- Maintain a very thorough knowledge of the broader strategic
vision of the company as it relates to all parts of the
- Oversee a fantastic team of five with two direct reports;
provide leadership and opportunity to support the team's continued
professional growth. Tactical Requirements
- Manage the annual budget process and provide guidance on the
quarterly restaurant forecasts.
- Lead the quarterly board deck process including the preparation
of the CEO's strategic presentation.
- Manage and prepare earnings release data and analytics for the
quarterly earnings release calls.
- Maintain both short and long-term forecasting models including
P&L, statement of cash flows, balance sheet, capital
expenditures and various leverage ratios.
- Lead the weekly executive strategy meetings and maintain and
communicate updates on the strategic initiatives for the year.
- Help identify reasonable stretch goals for Director and above
MBOs and communicate results periodically throughout the year.
- Proactively identify new reporting needs and re-vamp/streamline
existing reporting as needed.
- Provide guidance to the Finance team regarding their individual
responsibilities as needed.
- Assist cross functional team members at all levels within the
organization in preparing ad hoc data/analysis requests. Skill
- Willing and able to roll sleeves up every single day and work
with the team to achieve both department and business goals.
- Possess a natural curiosity about the business and act on
- Communicate timely and effectively to ensure all invested
parties are in the loop.
- Ability to change direction at a moment's notice.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, ever changing environment.
- Able to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills to manage and prioritize the
substantial amount of requests that come in.
- Advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills are a must.
- Knowledge of MicroStrategy and other business intelligence
Keywords: BJ's Restaurants, Inc., Huntington Beach , VP of Strategy and Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Accounting, Auditing , Huntington Beach, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!